What information do I need to include?
At a minimum, your resume should contain the following key sections:
Your full name and current address, after hours phone number, mobile number and a current work number if you can be contacted during the day. You can also include your email address if you have one.
List your qualifications putting the most recent at the top. Ensure you include:
- The institute/school/University/TAFE you attended
- Where you attended, ie. Melbourne, Australia
- What was the resulting qualification ie. Certificate III - Plumbing & Gasfitting
- The date you completed your course
Work History & Experience
List your work history putting the most recent at the top. Include the company you worked for and the start and end dates of your employment. You will also need to list the responsibilities you had and your achievements whilst in this job.
At least two people you have worked for (Supervisor or Manager) in the past who are happy to talk to a prospective employer.
You may also want to include information on organisations you are a member of and any licenses or permits that are applicable to your industry.
- Don't lie, or embellish the truth
- Keep it simple and short, a resume should only by 2-5 pages long.
- Always check your resume for spelling and grammar or better still get someone else to check it for you. You don't want to make your first impression a bad one.
- Stay away from using fancy covers or fonts.
- If you have access to a computer, make use of the Resume Wizard template which can be accessed in Microsoft Word. This will make sure your resume looks professional!